20 May 2011

Phoenix Medical Practice to close

We have recently learned that Health PEI will not be providing the additional funding we requested in order to stay open. We are therefore very sad to announce that the Phoenix Medical Practice is closing with immediate effect. 

Download the full press release.

Information on services still available.

How to obtain a copy of your records


What happened?
It was always going to be difficult providing high-quality modern health care under the old 'fee-for-service' model.   We were only receiving half the funding per-patient per-year of a salaried doctor, so we never made a profit from fee-for-service.    Initially we used the 'Patient Access' pilot which is open to all PEI doctors - this paid us a fee for taking on new patients.  However, this was still not enough funding to attract a second doctor.  

But we knew we were doing a lot of the right things.  We cost less money than traditional practice per patient per year.  We were keeping people out of hospital with our prevention services.   And Health PEI had described us when they described their vision for the future.  So we put together an offer of a pilot.  The Medical Society were supporting us, and Health PEI seemed very interested.   It was quality care, a doctor for every islander,  it was going to cost less per patient per year,  and it was going to save them money elsewhere as well.  We were asking for $7 per patient per month extra funding to keep us open over the next six month until we could get the pilot set up.

It seemed like a great offer.   Quality car for more patients for less money.  So we were very disappointed when they said 'no'.


Could I have stayed on as a 'regular' doctor?
Yes, but it's not an attractive option.  I'd still have to lose all my staff (except say one receptionist and a half-time nurse).  I'd have to let go about 80% of my patients.  I'd have to reduced the quality of the care we were able to provide.  I'd might have to give up my license as a doctor in the UK because the General Medical Council which regulates doctors in the UK would not accept my work in the PEI health care system towards my revalidation.  I'd need to work around two months each year back in Scotland to retain my license.

Download the full press release. 

Phoenix Medical Practice Budget Spreadsheet
Download a copy of our practice budget spreadsheet.   This complex spreadsheet contains the costs and projected income for various different possible set ups.  It is saved as our current budget for 1 doctor with the province covering 50% of the nurse billing values, showing a loss of $55,000 per year.  Changing the number of doctors to 3 and the percentage of the nurse billing covered by the province to 100% will give our original business model which is what we based our pilot proposal on.  Health PEI had one of their financial officers go through this spreadsheet and they met with us to discuss it.  They agreed the figures were reasonably accurate.

Open Office is required to open this document.

15 comments:

  1. This is terrible news for 4500 Islanders. Dr. Coull's practice was unlike any other on PEI. How dare we as Islanders expect first class medical care! I am so disappointed in this decision. I can only imagine, with the state of our current government that Dr. Coull would have had terrible resistance trying to help his patients have the care they need. You and your staff have been wonderful to myself and my family. I only wish you would stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sad about this. Dr Coull, you are an excellent doctor and innovative practitioner - this is entirely PEI's loss. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am devastated. Very selfishly, I do not want you or your team to go. I feel like I have finally found a real family doctor.
    I am so angry with the short-sightedness of this damned province.
    What will happen to me now? Will I go on the orphan patient list and wait for who knows how long for a so-called replacement? To tell you the truth Dr. Coull I am scared.
    Lise

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry this has happened. Just wanted to say how pleased we have been with the services from all the staff at the Phoenix Medical Practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This SUCKS, I just moved my family of 5 over to this practice because of what it had to offer, and that they were taking on new patients enthusiasticaly, and now we are going to be left with no one, with three kids under 7, we NEED a Doctor. If there was ever a thought that this might happen, WHY did you take on so many patients (almost 5000)???? Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay... goodbye to mediocrity :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very disappointed to hear that your practice is closing. I was so impressed with how professionally and efficiently the practice was run. I've dealt with a fair amount of doctors and Dr. Coull is, by far, one of the best. It will be a great loss to PEI to see you go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The $500,000 came from the Patient Access to a Family Physician Pilot. It's a pilot project which was set up to ensure all islanders have access to a family physician.

    We've discussed that pilot funding with them on several occassions so I'm not sure why they are confused.

    It could be they have forgotton it's pilot funding (it was set up the year before we started).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can not believe me eyes! I just began to read the guardian on Saturday May 21 and the first thing that jumps off the front page to me is that Robbie is closing his practice. I am not suprise this is happening though.This is the third time that I have lost my family Physican sine 2007. I feel that you were a great Doctor and you had great staff alway friendly and helpful. In 2007 CUPE PEI held their Annual Convention and the candidates were invited in to speak to the delegates. I am a CUPE PEI Executive Member and I also an Executive Member of local 8o5,and at that convention our delegates raised concerns with the now Premier Robert Ghiz with regard to doctor shortages, and also cuts in health care and he made a promise that every Islander would have a family doctor. What a joke! Robbie you were an execellent and now I have to look again for another Family Doctor. I hope the goverment is happy with what they have done as you will not be getting my vote for sure this fall when the election arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also very disappointed to see you close. I finally felt like I had a good family doctor. I NEVER had to wait long periods of time for an appointment and loved that I could get my blood work done at the office instead of the hospital.

    I felt that your team was very caring and helpful and actually made time for me when I was in the office. It was not the usual "one issue per appointment" deal. You made me feel like a person and not just a problem.

    If there was some kind of petition or something to keep the practice open, I know I would sign it!

    Thanks for everything and all the best to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much for the Hypocratic (sic) oath. Turns out after many overbookings and ridiculously long wait times, now once again me and mine are without a family physician.

    Guess money talks and suckers walk. Turns out the suckers are the patients left in the lurch. Of course greed had nothing to do with any of it did it? You don't reinvent the wheel in a day and although I liked what you were trying to do and it was very modern and all...in the end you've hurt a lot of people.

    I doubt this will get posted...but we have a right to speak our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr. Coull:

    I respect all you have done for my family and I, and I thank you and your staff. I wish to God you didn't have to go. After fighting for 4 bloody years to find a doctor to take on my new husband and two sons, to find someone who would take them on and myself, my oldest son and A week away from being born baby as a full family instead of trussing back and forth was AMAZING. You and your staff were always so very understanding of our "interesting" family situation, and such loads of fun and comfort to me with Griffith when I was worried that he wasn't growing or gaining fast enough, with the comfort of, "don't worry, he started walking at 9 months, he's going so fast and wobbly because of his head trying to catch up, he'll gain soon" And he did. And does, and I don't want to lose Alicia and news about Jovi, Heather, Ellie and yourself (not to mention the fanTABULOUS support staff and receptionists) as part of my family team and support

    I'll never be able to trust another practice like I did yours. You were the first family doctor I made the choice to switch to, the other delivered me.

    Thank-you, and please find a way not to leave. I'll be speaking with my local representation Monday. If there is anything else I can do, please tell me and your other patients so that we can act

    ReplyDelete
  13. If we, as a group, fight for you, will you be able to stay?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please let us know where and when we can sign a petition. Tom and Val

    ReplyDelete
  15. I add my voice to the 4500 people left without medical care. I am saddened, but more importantly, outraged at this turn of events with Phoenix Medical Practice. Lise, I am with you.. can't wait to sign the petition and join IHPAA. it's time to have a real and frank public
    discussion about the health care in this province!

    ReplyDelete